My family and I have lived in Kamloops for nearly 30 years, and our seven grandchildren are growing up here. We are fully engaged in the community. We love Kamloops, and support our city in every way.
I served 17 years as an MLA for Kamloops and the Thompson Valleys and helped bring many benefits to the city, including:
• Thompson Rivers University: TRU Law, the first new law school in Canada in over 30 years;
• huge improvements to Royal Inland Hospital, including new emergency and radiology, helicopter services;
• new seniors' homes throughout the Thompson Valleys;
• a new New Life Mission facility
• expanded services throughout the region, from the Kamloops Food Bank and social service agencies, highways improvements, economic development, job creation, First Nations partnerships and other economic development opportunities.
I have assisted thousands of Kamloops residents with issues involving government.
My goals include:
• Expansion of opportunities for all residents of Kamloops, including children, youth, adults, families and seniors, in education, recreation, employment and services.
I have served as Minister of Social Development, Tourism, Culture and Arts, Community and Rural Development, Revenues, Small Business and Regulatory Reform, Mining and as the Premier's Parliamentary Secretary for Rural Development, B.C.'s chair of the Small Business Round Table, chair of the Cabinet Committee for Natural Resources and the Economy and member of the Liaison Committee for Children and Families.
I have seven grandchildren, who I love with all my heart, as well as their friends and peers — i.e. all kids, and adults.